You may have heard "CrossFit is more than just a workout, it is a lifestyle" and this is true. Being in good physical condition requires leading an active life as well as utilizing clean eating practices. Clean eating means eating the best of each of the food group and limiting the options that are not so healthy. There is no CrossFit one size fit all way to eat, but there are some common guidelines, which most CrossFitters adhere to. This is not a “diet” that you take on for a month or two, but a long-term change in the way you buy, prepare and eat your food. Changing eating habits can affect the way you feel before, during, and, after a workout as well as change the rate your body will build muscle and loose fat. Below are some resources to help you decide what is best for you. This is only the tip of the iceberg, so I encourage all of you to use this as a start, and continue down this awesome rabbit hole to a better you.
1. Eat a diet that consists of a variety of lean meats, vegetables, nuts, seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar
2. Avoid processed foods – shop on the outer perimeter of the supermarket
3. Eat 5-6 small meals throughout your day
4. Prep your meals to ensure healthy food and options are always available
5. Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! - Water with lemon is a great way to start your day and jump start your metabolism
6. Don’t forget to SLEEP!
Thanks to CrossFit 717 for this handout!